Should!

I'm desperately trying to pull together a little communion talk for my church's women's retreat. This part got the ax but I had to share it with someone, why not the whole world...

"My husband always tells me not to “should” on myself and while I have not yet found “thou shalt not should on thyself” in my New King James I think that this principle is in keeping with a good understanding of grace, a understanding I find almost as impossible to live as the unattainable standard of perfection I’m “shoulding” over."

3 comments:

DellaRose said...

I like! thanks for sharing

Kasey said...

I saw Expelled last night!

Linds said...

I think that's very wise advice. I polled a bunch of friends, both my age and older about a talk I was going to give our senior girls at their retreat last fall (entitled: Lies the Church Tells Women), and the consensus that shocked me was the fact that so many women feel obligation that's not spiritual, but rather harmful to their spiritual health. Busyness, doing good things, can be just as destructive as being lazy.

That shocked me - and has changed my 'should' attitude. A lot. :)